Sponsored by the UK Government’s Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), this PAS is a key document in a framework of new and existing standards on how to conduct effective energy retrofits of existing buildings. PAS 2035 covers how to assess dwellings for retrofit, identify improvement options, design and specify Energy Efficiency Measures (EEM) and monitor retrofit projects. Meanwhile PAS 2030, which was redeveloped in conjunction with PAS 2035, covers the installation, commissioning and handover of retrofit projects. Organizations which trade using the Trustmark Government endorsed Quality scheme are required to comply with PAS 2035.
Who is this PAS for?
All those engaged in the management, design and installation of energy efficiency measures in existing buildings including:
- Retrofit Advisors, Assessors, Co-ordinators, Designers, Evaluators and Installers working in
- Commercial building contractors
- Specialist installers of retrofit measures
- Local SME builders and independent tradespeople working alone or in small teams
- Certification Bodies
Why should you use this PAS?
It specifies requirements for the retrofit of dwellings, including:
- Assessment of dwellings for retrofit
- Identification and evaluation of improvement options (Energy Efficiency Measures, or EEMs)
- Design and specification of EEMs (whether individual measures or packages of multiple measures)
- Monitoring and evaluation of retrofit projects
- Installation, commissioning and handover
The PAS also covers a comprehensive range of EEMs which are intended to improve, among other things, insulation of building fabric elements and air tightness; and provide, among other things, efficient heating and cooling systems with smart controls, including systems using low or zero carbon (LZC) technologies.
In addition to setting out requirements of all of the above, PAS 2035 also specifies requirements for advising building occupants about improvement options appropriate to their homes, and the efficient and appropriate use and maintenance of their retrofitted homes as well as for monitoring and evaluating retrofit projects when appropriate, and feeding back lessons learned to all parts of the supply chain, including the building occupants.
This PAS covers work that is initiated, procured, funded and delivered in a variety of ways including:
- Retrofit programmes promoted and/or funded by national or local government schemes e.g. the Energy Company Obligation (ECO)
- Retrofit programmes initiated and/or funded by landlords, including social housing organizations, private landlords in the domestic sector and commercial property portfolio holders
- Retrofit of individual buildings by their owners and/or occupants, including both domestic and commercial owner-occupiers
- Retrofit that is integrated with and forms part of broader repairs, maintenance and improvement (RMI) activity related to individual buildings or building stocks
NOTE 1: Many aspects of domestic retrofit are covered by existing standards. Where appropriate, those standards are referred to in this PAS, and compliance with the standards referred to is thereby a requirement of this PAS.
NOTE 2: This PAS does not apply to maintenance or repair of any element of an existing dwelling, or system installed in it, which does not involve improvement of the energy performance or ventilation of the dwelling, or a reduction of the carbon dioxide emissions associated with energy use in the dwelling. Nor does this PAS apply to “like-for-like” replacement of damaged or worn out elements or systems that do not involve improvement of the energy performance or ventilation of the dwelling, or a reduction of the carbon dioxide emissions associated with energy use in the dwelling.
Ready to get started with an external ISO audit?
We deliver the cheapest UKAS route in the UK. Our inclusive pricing is tailored your business requirements. Implement a global Quality Management System that will set you apart.
Get in touch today on 0333 456 5000 to find out more!